Saturday, May 10, 2008

Singapore Airlines

I traveled with Jessica Halsey, a girl who will also be teaching English. After riding on Delta from Salt Lake to LA the two of us were really impressed with Singapore Air. When you walk onto the airlines dozens of smiling faces are there to meet you. I don’t know for certain, but I’m pretty sure that winning a beauty contest is a requirement for being hired onto Singapore air. The only people who interacted with the passengers were female. All of these stewardesses had on matching traditional dresses (with a very complimenting slit up the side). They all had matching blue eye shadow, maroon lipstick, their eyeliner followed a similar shape, and their hair was pulled back into matching French buns.

On the plane we watched tons of movies and they fed us two meals, and served us ice cream and other snacks. The prescription sleeping pills I think were also contributors to reason why the flight was such a pleasant experience. I say next to this lady from Tokyo who noticed my thumb was injured and helped me during the flight.

When we finally made it to Singapore airport, Changi. Wow. This airport is posh. The picture above is from the airport. There are indoor gardens, a movie theater, cafes, massage salons and chairs. Everything is super clean and fancy. It looks very modern. Everything is in English. I think English is one of the official national languages.

One funny thing though, with all its modern-ness, when we ordered a cinnabon from a cafĂ© we noticed that bugs were crawling all over the food. I guess that’s not that big of a deal here. We were there for 5 hours and we were tired. We slept on red plush velvet armchairs—pure bliss.

A little later in the airport Jessica was chewing gum and I told her to spit it out because its against the law to chew gum in Singapore (they are very clean). A few minutes later three soldiers walked by with AK-47s in their hands and sabers in their back pockets. Jessica turned to me and said, “It’s a good thing that I spit out my gum.”



0 comments: